The Prospect Pulse is a review of prospect performances, good or bad, from the day before. Prospects are sorted by the league in which they play; their parent club is listed in parentheses.
Pacific Coast League
- OF Brett Jackson, Iowa (Chicago Cubs): 4-5, 2 2B, 2 RBI
- RHP Garrett Richards, Salt Lake (Los Angeles Angels): 4 IP, 9 H, 6 ER, 3 BB, 3 K
- RHP Wily Peralta, Nashville (Milwaukee): 7 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 8 K
- RHP Alex White, Colorado Springs (Colorado): 4 2/3 IP, 3 H, 3 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 4 K
Brett Jackson OPS is over 800 points higher vs RHP than it is against LHP. Richards allowed twice as many earned runs in his past two starts than he did in his first three starts combined. Peralta had what I would qualify his best outing of the year on Tuesday. White has allowed exactly 6 base runners in 4 of his 5 starts.
- OF Ben Revere, Rochester (Minnes0ta): 3-5, 2B, R, RBI
- OF Starling Marte, Indianapolis (Pittsburgh): 2-5, 2B, R, 2 RBI
Revere doesn’t have much more to prove at AAA. He was hitting .278 at the time of his demotion, and has carried over the exact same average to Rochester through 8 games. Marte is hitting .308 over the past 10 games, but he hasn’t stolen a base in over a week.
- C A.J. Jimenez, New Hampshire (Toronto): 2-4, 2 RBI, R
- RHP Robert Gilliam, Harrisburg (Washington): 7 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 9 K
Jimenez has been hot as of late collecting at least one hit in 7 of his past 8 games. Jimenez has hit .375 over that span. Gilliam has 17 of his 35 strikeouts in his past two start. He has a K/BB ratio of 3.18 and his WHIP is 1.03.
- SS Jake Lemmerman, Chattanooga (Los Angeles Angels): 1-2, HR, RBI, 2 BB, 2 SB
- C Evan Gattis, Mississippi (Atlanta): 1-4, 2 RBI, BB
- SS Andrelton Simmons, Mississippi (Atlanta): 2-5, 3B, 2 RBI, 2 R
- RHP Trevor Bauer, Mobile (Arizona): 5 2/3 IP, 8 H, 6 R (5 ER), 3 BB, 9 K
Lemmerman has hit .417 over the past week and raised his season average up to .277. Gattis’ AA debut was a good one, with the most shocking part of it being that he played the game at catcher. Teammate Andrelton Simmons is hitting .425/.468/.600 with 12 RBI in his past 10 games. Bauer took to twitter after Tuesday’s contest to express his ill-will towards ground balls and how he needs to increase his strikeouts and flyball rates to be a better pitcher.
- 3B Mike Olt, Frisco (Texas): 2-3, RBI, BB, 2 SB
- LHP Robbie Erlin, San Antonio (Tucson): 8 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 10 K
- SS Christian Colon, Northwest Arkansas (Kansas City): 2-4, HR, 2 RBI, Error
- OF Oscar Taveras, Springfield (St.Louis): 2-4, HR, 2 RBI, 2 BB, 2 R, SB
- 2B Kolten Wong, Springfield (St. Louis): 3-4, RBI, 3 R, BB
- LHP Noel Arguelles, Northwest Arkansas (Kansas City): 2/3 IP, 4 H, 6 ER, 3 BB, 0 K
Robbie Erlin has 24 strikeouts in his past 17 innings pitched. Christian Colon is trying to make Royals fans forget about his 2011 season. Colon is hitting .417 in the past 10 games. Taveras has five multi-hit games in his past seven. Wong has just one extra base hit over the past week. Arguelles’ WHIP has reached the mind-blowing 2.20 level and his K/9 ratio is well below average sitting at 0.67. Opponents are hitting .381 off of Arguelles in what could be a a make or break season for Arguelles.
- RHP J.R. Graham, Lynchburg (Atlanta): 7 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 6 K
- OF Jackie Bradley, Salem (Boston): 2-5, 2B, HR, RBI
- SS Xander Bogaerts, Salem (Boston): 2-4, HR, RBI
- 3B Cheslor Cuthbert, Wilmington (Kansas City): 2-5, 2B, 3 RBI, 2 R, SB
- C David Freitas, Potomac (Washington): 3-5, 2B, HR, 2 RBI
Bradley has a 9 game hitting streak in which he is hitting .432. Bradley has been said by scouts to have, “a slump proof swing”. Bogaerts knocked his second homer out in the past week, both came against the Wilmington Blue Rocks. The streaky Cheslor Cuthbert broke a four game hitless streak in a big way Tuesday. David Freitas continues to hit at a league leading pace.
- SS Chris Owings, Visalia (Arizona): 4-6, 2 HR, 2 RBI, 2B
- 1B C.J. Cron, Inland Empire (Los Angeles Angels): 2-3, 2 RBI, BB
- C John Hicks, High Desert (Kansas City): 4-4, 2 2B, 2 RBI, 2 R, SB
- OF George Springer, Lanacaster (Houston): 1-3, HR, 2 RBI, 2 R, 2 BB
Owings big day came over the course of a double header yesterday. Cron snapped a recent 1-22 streak. He hasn’t got an extra base hit since April 22nd. John Hicks has a seven game hitting streak and is hitting .400 over the past 10 games. Springer is hitting .372/.438/.651 over his past 10 games, and has an extra base hit in 5 games over the past weeks.
Florida St. League
- 3B Nick Castellanos, Lakeland (Detroit): 2-4, 2 RBI
- 1B Jonathan Rodriguez, Palm Beach (St. Louis): 3-4, HR, RBI, 3 R
- OF Cory Vaughn, St. Lucie (New York Mets): 3-6, 2B, HR, 4 RBI, 2 R
- RHP Taylor Jungmann, Brevard County (Milwaukee): 7 IP, 8 H, 3 ER, 0 BB, 6 K
- LHP Jesse Biddle, Clearwater (Philadelphia): 1/3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K
Castellanos is hitting .402 on the season and leads the FSL in hits on the season with 37 knocks. Rodriguez had his second three hit game in a row. Cory Vaughn’s birthday was on Tuesday and he celebrated in style by hitting his sixth home run of the season, and fifth in the past 10 games. Jungmann set or matched career highs in IP, H, R, ER, K, HRA. Biddle left after getting hit by a comebacker in the wrist, it was reportedly just for precautionary measures.
South Atlantic League
No games scheduled on May 1st.
- 3B Kaleb Cowart, Cedar Rapids (Los Angeles Angels): 1-4, HR, 3 RBI
- RHP Tyrell Jenkins, Quad Cities (St. Louis): 5 2/3 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 4 BB, 7 K
Cowart had his second three run home run in as many days. Cowart’s splits are abysmal, and he struggles mightily as a right handed hitter (.095/.136/.095). One has to wonder how long that will continue before a hitting coach tells him to hit left-handed full time. Jenkins WHIP is at 1.00, but he has suffered from too many walks and not enough strikeouts.
Prospect of the Day: Chris Owings, SS, Visalia, Arizona
Topics: Andrelton Simmons, Brett Jackson, Cheslor Cuthbert, Chris Owings, Christian Colon, Evan Gattis, George Springer, Honor Roll, Jackie Bradley, Jesse Biddle, John Hicks, Kaleb Cowart, Nick Castellanos, Noel Arguelles, Oscar Taveras, Robbie Erlin, Robert Gilliam, Trevor Bauer, Tyrell Jenkins, Xander Bogaerts